Czech team members and fans took up their roles in the Gambrinus brewing room responsibly. „Now, we are going to portion the hops from Žatec that gives our beer the right bitterness,“ master–brewer Homolka directed the ten members of the team, making it seem as if he was a captain of the soccer „eleven“ team. „Now, it is important to check the wort that underwent the double mashing,“ he continued, teaching those present about what characteristics the wort should have, such as colour and scent. „Our beer gets its typical characteristics during the several weeks of fermenting and maturing that take place in separate containers, as is typical for Czech beers of the Pilsen type. The last traditional step in the brewing room is the ringing of the bell that signalizes sending the batch out for fermentation,“ the master brewer said, commenting on the last task of the soccer players and their fans.
„It was an interesting experience. Hopefully, we have not done anything wrong, thanks to the watchful eye of the experienced master-brewer, and fans will be able to enjoy the good Gambrinus that they are used to while watching our matches.“ Milan Petrželav jokingly said. „Hopefully, they will toast many of our goals and victories. The more reasons to lift the glass after the final whistle, the better,“ added David Lafata, who has an extraordinary shooting record from this year’s Gambrinus league.
„The Gambrinus brewed by the team members and their fans will be ready just before the European Championship. We are preparing a special edition of cans for it, and during the championship, this batch will be on tap at our pubs,“ master–brewer Homolka said and added, „We are in negotiations to ensure that our beer will be available in one of the pubs in Wroclaw, where our team will play its first round of matches. I believe we will be able to ensure that our fans in Poland will have a place to celebrate the victories of our team.“
Notes for editors:
- The wide portfolio of the Gambrinus brand consists of Gambrinus Original 10°, Gambrinus 11° Excellent, Gambrinus Premium light lager, and Gambrinus Dry with a low sugar content.
- Since 2012, Gambrinus added the Gambrinus Crisp Lemon and Gambrinus Lime & Elderberry products to its portfolio. These are mixed beer drinks. They are typically known for their lower alcohol content and refreshing taste.
- Thanks to following the original brewing recipes typical for Czech beer, and also thanks to the use of traditional Czech beer brewing materials, Gambrinus is entitled to use the quality trademark “Czech Beer.”
- The history of the Gambrinus brand goes all the way back to 1869. Gambrinus is a beer that won the hearts and minds of its consumers, thanks to its high quality and preservation of its original brewing procedures.
- Gambrinus is part of Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. portfolio. PP is member of SABMiller plc. With its total sale of nearly 9.9 millions of hectolitres during the calendar year of 2011 (including licenced productions abroad), and with its export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the preeminent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of the Czech beer.
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world’s biggest beer brewing companies, with beer brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller’s portfolio includes such important international Brands as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and Pilsner Urquell, as well as almost 200 successful regional and national brands.