20th Anniversary Of Day Of Kozel Will Be Celebrated With A Special Programme, Beer And Even A Record Breaking Event25.5.2012 Velkopopovický kozel
The honest art of master blacksmithing and the longest grill in the Czech Republic will be the symbols of this year’s 20th anniversary. A hand–forged coat of arms for the longest grill will be officially „baptised“ right there, in front of the participants of the beer celebration. Thanks to its record length of 21.25 metres, the Velké Popovice brewery will be recorded in the Czech Book of Records. „Every year, we try to entertain our visitors with an interesting programme that should always accompany the experience of participation at our beer festivities. In recent years, we have shown to our visitors some traditional crafts, since the quality and popularity of our beer depends on honest craftsmanship. For this year’s special anniversary, we have chosen the difficult art of master blacksmithing. Master blacksmiths will help us finish the longest grill in Czech Republic so we have a place to prepare our barbeque specialties that complement the proper enjoyment of Velkopopovický Kozel beer,“ Vladimír Vaněk, Velkopopovický Kozel Brand Senior Manager explained.
„The Boys in Action,“ Filip Sajler and Ondřej Slanina, will present their culinary arts on the grill, and in doing so they will also provide the public with the best barbeque specialties that will, of course, be basted with Velké Popovice beer. Master blacksmiths will not only show their art but they will also take on the taps so they can learn something about the art of proper beer tending and will be able to draw the Popovice beer in its full strength, with its slightly bitter taste, and the proper briskness as appropriate. In return, the master brewer of Popovice brewery will face the forging tools.
The music scene will offer the real treat by presenting the acting–vocal–instrumental quartet Music Band Hamlets with frontmen Aleše Háma and Dalibor Gondík, the MC of the day. Walda Gang band will present the rock version of a legendary song by Waldemar Matuška. The climax of the day will belong to the classics of the Czech music scene, the band Žlutý Pes (The Yellow Dog).
The public will have the opportunity to challenge their skills in beer drawing during the day–long celebration in the contest for the best draught of Kozel 11° beer. The visitor tours are traditionally available to visitors on the Day of Kozel at a half price.
For more information:
Vladimír Jurina, Brand PR Manager, phone: +420 724 617 886,
Notes for editors:
- The first batch of Kozel was brewed in Velké Popovice brewery on December 15, 1874, and just one year later, 18000 hl of beer were brewed and sold. Only few years later, the brewery became the third biggest brewery in the country. They were famous especially for their dark, heavy beer.
- Velkopopovický Kozel brand is irreplaceable on today’s beer market. It is a brand with the most dynamic rise in Czech as well as foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Dark is the leader among dark beer brands on the Czech beer market, and the best-selling Czech beer abroad.
- Velké Popovice brewery has been a part of the Plzeňský Prazdroj Company since 1999.
- With its total sale of 9.9 millions of hectoliters during the calendar year of 2010 (including licensed production abroad) and with its export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the prominent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the member of SABMiller plc. group. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship brand of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller is one of the world’s biggest beer brewing companies with brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller’s brand group includes such important brands as Pilsner Urquell, Miller Genuine Draft, Grolsch, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and many other successful regional brands.
- You can find more information about the most recent activities and projects supported by Velkopopovický Kozel brand at www.kozel.cz.