The famous Pilsener, Karel Gott, who often enjoys a small Pilsen beer before encores at his concerts, together with Senior Marketing Brew–master Václav Berka, congratulated the new champion in bartending, and accepted the tile Honorary Connoisseur. This title is awarded by Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. to those faithful fans of Pilsner Urquell brand who are long-time advocates of its good name.
„To win in the year when Pilsner Urquell celebrates its 170th anniversary, and to accept congratulations from Honorary Connoisseur Mr. Gott, that is especially pleasing. Of course, now it is time for me to prepare for the tough, international competition, but to win in the country that gave birth to Pilsen lager is most important to me, and I am very happy for it. I made it to the national finals for the fourth time this year. Every year I have moved up a step, and this year I finally said to myself: now or never,“ said master bartender Ota Haurythun.
The eighteen best bartenders (17 men and 1 woman) qualified thanks to a strict selection by the expert jury. In the opening test, the contestants had to demonstrate sufficient theoretical knowledge and a quick wit while solving given problems. Then, the expert jury anonymously tested their abilities in practise right in their home restaurants. The new part of the competition was beer drafting for a thousand people during a Mandrage band concert in the courtyard of the Pilsen brewery on the eve of the finals.
Finalists came to the Pilsen brewery on June 19 to measure their skills and their knowledge in a few other categories. Aside from the perfect technique of several ways of drafting of Pilsner Urquell beer, the contestants had to prove themselves in a difficult test of their knowledge of the history and the production of the premium lager. „The jury also strictly judges the presentation of the beer, looking at the contestants’ ability to convince the audience about the uniqueness of the qualities and the 170–year history of the beer they offer. All that should contribute to the enhancement of beer culture and the experience offered by this remarkable beverage,“ said Senior Marketing Brew–master Václav Berka.
Miloš Protiva of the Kadaň’s „Švejk Restaurant“ got the fantastic second prize, and third place went rightfully to Tomáš Hrnčíř of the „Lokál U bílé kuželky“ (The Bistro by the White Skittle) in Prague. These talented bartenders will share their knowledge and experience at this year’s Pilsner Fest too, where interested visitors will have a chance to learn something about the bartending art, and where Pilsner Urquell lager, thanks to its 170th jubilee celebration, will be paid the special attention.
The Pilsner Urquell Master Bartender competition is organised for motivated bartenders, men and women, who share our enthusiasm for the bartending craft and Pilsner Urquell lager. To succeed in the competition, contestants must have a perfect beer drafting technique, they must care flawlessly for their beer, they must have an excellent knowledge of the history and the production process of Pilsner Urquell lager, but most of all, they must have the personality to convince their customers of the unique qualities of Pilsen lager. The world finals take place symbolically in Pilsen on October 5, 2012, exactly on the day and place where the Pilsner Urquell lager was brewed for the first time 170 years ago. In addition to the title of World Bartending Champion, a grand prize of 10,000.00 Euro will serve as a motivation.
The best Czech bartenders of the 7th Pilsner Urquell Master Bartender Competition
1. Ota Haurythun, “U Pinkasů”, Praha
2. Miloš Protiva, “Švejk Restaurant”, Kadaň
3. Tomáš Hrnčíř, restaurant “Lokál U bílé kuželky”, Praha
For more information:
Vladimír Jurina, Plzeňský Prazdroj, phone: +420 724 617 886
Notes for editors:
- With total sales of nearly 9.9 million hectolitres during the 2011 calendar year (including licensed productions abroad) and with exports to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the preeminent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is a member of SABMiller plc. group. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship brand of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world’s biggest beer brewing companies, with beer brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. The SABMiller portfolio includes important international Brands such as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and Pilsner Urquell, as well as almost 200 successful regional and national brands.