The Velké Popovice brewery introduced a new tour of their facilities in 2012. Guests are now invited to visit the brewery cellars and a Kozel beer tasting. More importantly, visitors can tour a unique tunnel connecting the cellars with the racking room. The largest wooden beer keg, with a capacity of 96 hectolitres, can be seen at the entrance to the cellars. A new exhibit showcasing the worldwide export of Kozel beer has been added to the racking room.
The Velké Popovice brewery, with its almost 140–year–old tradition, is visited primarily by locals. It is only 15 kilometres away from Prague, which makes it an ideal destination for hikers and cyclists alike. One of the most architecturally interesting breweries, it is attracting greater attention from abroad, proportionally increasing with the rising popularity of Kozel beer. Czechs mainly come individually, while most foreign visitors arrive on tours organised by their travel agents.
„We are constantly looking for new and interesting ways to bring the history of our brewery and our beer production to our visitors. Of course, we make sure to include a natural part of the brewery and a living legend, billy goat Olda. And with the help of Pilsen coopers, we have provided Olda with a new abode,“ said Eva Kršňáková, head of the brewery’s Visitors’ Centre, Velké Popovice.
A number of special events held throughout the year contribute to Popovice attendance numbers. The most renowned include our Annual Pork Feast, the Spring March through Baron Ringhoffer’s countryside, the Kozel Day festivities, Summer with Kozel, as well as others. Visitors can look forward to a year filled with events.
Our visitors combine their brewery experience with shopping at the Kozel store, where a wide variety of gift items with the Kozel logo can be purchased. Velkopopovická Kozlovna, a stylish restaurant right next to the brewery, also offers our visitors a friendly place to relax and experience the special gastronomy during Kozel Gourmet Days.
Notes to editors
- The Velké Popovice brewery is a member of Pilsner Urquell a.s. With total sales of nearly 9.9 million hectolitres in 2012 (including licensed production abroad) and exports to more than 50 countries around the world, Pilsner Urquell is the leading producer of beer in the region and the largest exporter of Czech beer.
- Pilsner Urquell is a member of SABMiller plc, the second largest beer producer in the world, with brewing interests or distribution agreements in over 60 countries across six continents.
- Velkopopovický Kozel is a brand with its own irreplaceable spot in the Pilsner Urquell portfolio. It belongs to the most dynamic brands on the Czech market, as well as on foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Černý is also the dark–beer market leader in the Czech Republic.
- The first batch of beer was brewed in the Velké Popovice brewery on December 15th, 1874, and a year later 18,000 hectolitres of beer were produced (brewed and sold). After a few years, the brewery became the third largest in the country. Particularly famous was the production of strong, dark beer.
- Current information about activities and projects supported by the Velkopopovický Kozel brand can be found on www.kozel.cz
+420 724 617 886