Practical from all perspectives
Over the last few years, popularity of PET packaged drinks among consumers has been on the rise. In segments of mixed beer drinks, this type of packaging represents 15% of sold volume while during the same time period last year, it was only 7% (January – May 2013 vs. same time period of last year, modern market, source: Nielsen). Consumers value the practicality especially. It provides them with a certain comfort during consumption. „PET bottles are light, strong and repeatedly closeable. Czechs simply see its advantages and so its market share is on the rise,” said Miroslav Peichl, brand marketing manager of Gambrinus. New packaging should support another boost in the interest in mixed beer drinks from Gambrinus that is sought after by consumers, especially for its pleasant taste and content. “Besides the characteristic, well-balanced taste of the traditional and popular Gambrinus beer, the fruit flavour results in low calories because there are no sweeteners or preservatives,“ Peichl added. Recommended retail price of one PET bottle of Gambrinus Flavoured is 42,90 CZK (about 2.00 USD).
Gambrinus Flavoured scores with consumers
During Summer 2012, mixed drinks reached 10% share in the total beer market and thus became the fastest-growing beer segment. „Since its introduction,Gambrinus Flavoured became one of the three most sought after products on market in the segment of mixed beer drinks. The bet on citrus fruit paid off. These are far more popular than any other flavours,“ Peichl announced. Varieties Gambrinus Lime & Elderberry a Gambrinus Crisp Lemon in cans also succeeded in the prestigious consumer survey, Consumers’ Choice – The Best Novelty of 2013, in the category of flavoured beers. Among many other brands, these products got the most votes from 4,000 respondents and became the most popular novelties of the last year. This March, Gambrinus added a new flavour based on citrus foundation – Gambrinus Juicy Citrus.
Notes for editors:
- Gambrinus Premium beer was the only Czech beer awarded at the international tasting competition The International Brewing Awards 2013 – among the beer brewing palls known as The Brewing Oscar. 40 brew-masters from 16 countries evaluated more than 800 beers from all around the world. Gambrinus Premium won silver medal in the Classic Lager category.
- The wide portfolio of Gambrinus brand consists of Gambrinus Original 10°, Gambrinus 11° Excellent, Gambrinus Premium light lager, and Gambrinus Dry with low content of sugar. Since 2012, Gambrinus added Gambrinus Crisp Lemon, and Gambrinus Lime & Elderberry products to its portfolio. These are mixed beer drinks. They are typical for lower alcohol content and refreshing taste.
- Thanks to following the original brewing recipes typical for Czech beer, and also thanks to the use of traditional Czech beer brewing materials, Gambrinus is entitled to use the quality trademark „Czech Beer.“
- History of Gambrinus brand goes way back to 1869. Gambrinus is beer that won hearts and minds of its consumers thanks to its high quality and preserving of original brewing procedures.
- Gambrinus is part of Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. portfolio. PP is member of SABMiller plc. With its total sale of nearly 9.9 million hectolitres during the calendar year of 2011 (including licenced productions abroad) and with its export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the preeminent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of the Czech beer.
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world’s biggest beer brewing companies with beer brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller portfolio includes important international Brands such as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and Pilsner Urquell, as well as almost 200 successful regional and national brands.