Velké Popovice Brewery Attracts 11,500 Visitors3.2.2009 Velkopopovický kozel
Last year, reconstruction of the brewery visitors’ route was launched in order to make the tour even more attractive. In Velké Popovice, innovations are an important aspect of visitor care: thanks to them, nearly 11,500 visitors visited the brewery in 2008 (in 2007, the number was 13% lower: 10,200). Those interested in the brewery tour are not only Czech citizens but also people from countries where Kozel is brewed under licence, Russia and Hungary. 1,500 Russians and 760 Hungarians came to visit the place. The site is also popular with visitors from Great Britain.
„We have observed a growing interest in the brewery visits and that is why we have launched this reconstruction, aiming to make the visitors’ route more attractive. Nearly all breweries offer a brewery tour but in Velké Popovice we also show a demonstration of old brewing methods, talk about the region’s history and explain the role Baron Ringhoffer played in establishing the brewery. We are also the only plant within the group brewing dark beer: part of the exhibition is dedicated to it. Visitors enjoy not only the historical aspect of the brewery and its scenic beauty but also the way its characteristic features have been preserved to today,” says Eva Kršňáková, head of the Velké Popovice Brewery Visitor’s Centre.
Traditionally, visitors’ interest peaks in May and June and also in the autumn, from September until November. A greater number of visitors also come to the brewery to participate in various special events, such as the Day of Kozel in June and the Open Door Day in September. Another very popular event is the spring František Ringhoffer Country march, the Velké Popovice brewery being one of the stops on the regional educational trail the march follows.
X X X
Notes for editors:
- The Velké Popovice brewery is a part of the Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s. Company.
- With total sales of over 10.7 million hectolitres in the calendar year 2008 (including licensed production abroad) and exports to more than 50 countries around the world, Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s., is a major beer producer in the region and the largest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s. is a member of the global SABMiller plc. group. The Group is the second biggest beer brewer worldwide, with brewing or distribution activities reaching over 60 countries across 5 continents.
- The Velkopopovický Kozel brand is a unique beer within the Plzeňský Prazdroj portfolio and is among the most dynamically growing brands on both the Czech and foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Černý is also the leader on the Czech Republic dark beer market.
- Last year, the Velké Popovice brewery celebrated its 132nd anniversary. It was founded in 1874.
- For information on current activities and projects supported by the Velkopopovický Kozel brand, as well as for any updates, please go to the www.kozel.cz website.
For further information, please contact:
Vladimír Jurina, Corporate Brand Manager, Plzeňský Prazdroj, tel.: 257 287 223
Roman Binder, AMI Communications, tel.: 234 124 112, 724 012 641