Velkopopovický Kozel Consolidates its Position as the Number One Czech Beer outside the Czech Republic23.2.2009 Uncategorized
According to the year-to-year comparison, the Velkopopovický Kozel brand has become even more popular. 1.8 mil. hl of Kozel beer was sold on foreign markets, representing a 5.6% rise compared to 2007. Licensed production grew by 4.7%, reaching 1.7 mil. hl. The greatest quantity of Velkopopovický Kozel beer was sold on the Russian market: 1.2 mil. hl. Ukraine (+ 79 %), Belorussia (+ 37 %), Israel (+ 35 %) and Finland (+ 21 %) represent the fastest growing export destinations: consumption in 2007 reached 37.5 thou. hl on these markets.
“We are pleased that the popularity of the Velkopopovický Kozel brand abroad has been growing. This trend proves that the quality of Velké Popovice beer is outstanding and that a decision to grant this brand sound SABMiller marketing and distribution support worldwide was a good decision. In Russia, for example, we are able to successfully face, within the premium brands segment, both local competitors and imported beers. Velkopopovický Kozel has again confirmed its position as the most foreign-sold Czech beer,” says Luděk Baumruk, Velkopopovický Kozel brand manager.
Kozel is currently the biggest selling Czech beer outside the Czech Republic. It can be purchased in 24 countries worldwide, including Australia, Honduras and the Caucasus republics.
Notes for editors:
- With total sales of over 10.7 million hectolitres in the calendar year 2008 (including licensed production abroad) and exports to more than 50 countries around the world, Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s., is a major beer producer in the region and the largest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s. is a member of the global group SABMiller plc. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc is one of the world’s largest brewers, with brewing interests or distribution agreements in over 60 countries across six continents. The SABMiller brand portfolio consists of international brands such as Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell, as well as almost 200 other successful regional and national brands. Outside the USA, SABMiller is also one of the biggest producers and distributors of Coca-Cola products worldwide.
- The Velkopopovický Kozel brand is a unique beer within the Plzeňský Prazdroj portfolio and is among the most dynamically growing brands on both the Czech and foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Černý is also the leader on the Czech Republic dark beer market. Last year, the Velké Popovice brewery celebrated its 132nd anniversary. It was founded in 1874.
- For information on current activities and projects supported by the Velkopopovický Kozel brand, as well as for any updates on the brand, please go to the www.kozel.cz website.
Manager external communication
724 617 219