Sustainable Development Embedded in Plzensky Prazdroj’s Business Activities31.7.2009 Company
This is already the fourth annual report on sustainable development that Plzensky Prazdroj has published. What are the key benefits of such a document? “The report gives an easy-to-follow summary of Plzensky Prazdroj’s approach to corporate responsibility. Sustainable development is a prominent theme which is part of our breweries’ activities. Last fiscal year, we invested a total of 66 million Czech Crowns into projects aimed at sustainable development. The sum includes projects to discourage irresponsible drinking as well as investments made to develop communities and protect the environment. In this latter area, we mainly focus on reducing the water, CO2, and energy footprint and secondary use or recycling of all waste,” says Zuzana Novicka of Plzensky Prazdroj.
Corporate responsibility, however, means much more to Plzensky Prazdroj. “We’ve set ourselves 10 priorities, among which are the observance of human rights, fair relationships with our suppliers, and transparency in reporting our activities. To this end, we publish this report every year and have it verified by an independent reputable foundation,” explains Zuzana Novicka.
Report verified by the Czech Donors Forum
The Sustainable Development Report has been verified by the Czech Donors Forum, an organisation which associates major Czech foundations, charitable funds and responsible companies, and provides them with relevant services. “The importance of the Sustainable Development Report lies chiefly in open dialogue with the public, who can learn what goals the particular company set last year and whether or not it has achieved them. An independent verification of this report is proof that it contains credible information, thus emphasising its significance. Verification of reports on a company’s sustainable development is still not that common in the Czech Republic, so we greatly appreciate Plzensky Prazdroj being one of the few Czech corporations who are transparent and open to the public about this aspect of their business,” says Pavlina Kalousova, Executive Director of the Czech Donors Forum.
Energy and water savings
How did Prazdroj do in the various areas reported? On a year-on-year basis, its three breweries reduced electricity usage in production operations by 23 %. Of the same importance is the reduction of water usage. Whereas the worldwide average water ratio (hectolitres used to produce 1 hectolitre of beer) is 5 HL and Czech breweries use from 4.5 to 7 HL of water, Plzensky Prazdroj has managed to brew 1 HL of beer with only 4.3 HL of water. In line with the commitment of its parent company, SABMiller, Plzensky Prazdroj will strive to reduce the water ratio to 3.5 HL by the year 2015.
Responsible alcohol consumption
To discourage irresponsible drinking, Plzensky Prazdroj has included a responsibility message – reference to www.napivosrozumem.cz – in all of its marketing campaigns. The website’s name itself is a responsibility message (Go for a pint but be sensible) and it informs about the effects of alcohol on the human body, specifies what social occasions are inappropriate for alcohol consumption and details the substances present in beer.
Highlights of the Sustainable Development Report:
- Plzensky Prazdroj paid CZK 4.4 billion in tax last year*, and ranks among the twenty biggest tax-payers in the Czech Republic.
- Its suppliers’ sales reached CZK 7.4 billion, 87 % of all suppliers are Czech companies.
- Business and employment opportunities for 30,000 business partners and 3,800 suppliers.
- Year-on-year reduction in energy usage of 23 %.
- Almost 100 % of all waste goes to secondary use.
- Plzensky Prazdroj again voted Employer of the Year within the Pilsen region last year.
- The charitable programme Prazdroj to the People has supported 32 projects with total donations of CZK 6.5 million.
- Water usage per HL of beer is 4.3 HL, whereas the average consumption is 5 HL worldwide and 4.5 – 7 HL in the Czech Republic.
- Prazdroj has committed to achieving 3.5 HL by 2015.
- Emissions footprint reduced by 87% as a result of a brewhouse upgrade in the Pilsen brewery
*The fiscal year started April 2008 and ended March 2009
The Report is available from Plzensky Prazdroj’s website (click HERE).
Notes for editors:
- With total sales of over 10.7 million hectolitres in the calendar year 2008 (including licensed production abroad) and exports to more than 50 countries around the world, Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s., is a major beer producer in the region and the largest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. is a member of the global group SABMiller plc. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc is one of the world’s largest brewers, with brewing interests or distribution agreements in over 60 countries across six continents. The SABMiller brand portfolio consists of international brands such as Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Grolsch, andPilsner Urquell, as well as almost two hundred other successful regional and national brands.
Manager external communication
Tel.: 724 617 219