Thanks to a partnership with Plzeňský Prazdroj, promile INFO introduced several important new features in April 2009: the price for using the service via a text message was lowered from 20 Kč (1.17 US$) to 9 Kč (0.53 US$); the service is free if used on the Internet at www.promile.info; and guidelines about how to use the service were seen on 1.7 million beer labels of the Gambrinus and Pilsner Urquell brands.
Users have definitely appreciated free access to the service on the Internet, which can be seen in the considerable number of requests over the Internet, about 10,000. A new feature, a JAVA application, is also available with which the user can send a request more comfortably from his/her cell phone, when his/her level of alcohol drops to zero. Through the application the user can also send a text message for 9 Kč. The application can be downloaded for free at www.promile.info, wap.promile.info or from promotional campaigns. In the near future, Plzeňský Prazdroj will instal a Bluetooth receiver in its brewery in Plzeň in order to enable free downloads of the application.
Music festival patrons appreciate Promile.INFO
From June until August 2009 Promile INFO approached thousands of visitors at seven large and four smaller open-air music festivals, where it provided a practise breath test together with information leaflets and business cards. At some other festivals, staff handed out leaflets about the service. “We gave out more than 12,000 leaflets and we gave about 2,700 breath tests. Our presence at these events had a positive impact on visitors as well as on organisers. It happened several times that producers of other events asked us whether we could come to their festivals. I believe that the moment when driving under the influence will be unacceptable is approaching. And we would like to contribute to that,” says Jiří Richter, executive director of the civic association SANANIM, who is the operator of the service.
The civic association SANANIM
The civic association SANANIM is one of the oldest in the Czech Republic (established in 1990) and today it is also the biggest provider of non-governmental services in the field of prevention, care and treatment of non-alcoholic drug addiction, and reintegration of addicts. Currently it administers eleven main centres – Field Programmes, the Contact Centre, Specialised Outpatient Services CADAS, the Daily Social Welfare Institution, Therapeutic Communities Karlov and Němčice, the Aftercare Centre with apartments and a workshop, the Centre For People In Conflict With Law, the Agency for Employment and Social Services, the Consulting Room for parents – and offers a number of supplementary projects or programmes. Among some of the most important ones are telematic consulting and information services (a drug information centre, Promile INFO, Alkotest etc.), the field programme for the Roma, and a programme for mothers with children. Other projects focus mainly on education, primary prevention, publication of articles and international cooperation.
Plzeňský Prazdroj as a responsible beer producer
Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s. takes an active part in prevention of negative consequences of excessive or unacceptable alcohol consumption and helps advocate a responsible attitude towards alcohol consumption, whether it be independently or as part of the Initiative of Responsible Breweries.
With total sales of 10.7 million hectolitres in the 2008 calendar year (including licenced production abroad) and with export to more than 50 countries, Plzeňský Prazdroj a. s., is the leading producer of beer in the Czech Republic and the biggest exporter of Czech beer. Plzeňský Prazdroj is a member of the SABMiller PLC, one of the world’s largest beer companies.
For more information:
How does Promile INFO work?
- The service is run via text messages, WAP or the Internet, www.promile.info
- How can you use the service from your cell phone?
- Based on a simple guideline through the JAVA application, the user will send a text message with a request including information about his/her sex, age, weight, about when he/she began consumption of alcoholic beverages, what kind of alcoholic beverages and what amount.
- Within a minute, the user will receive a response with information about his/her current level of alcohol in blood, together with an approximate time when his/her level will drop to zero. Part of the response is also information about the risks connected with the level of alcohol in one’s blood.
- One “Promile INFO” costs 9 Kč (0.53 US$). The money will support programmes for prevention and for treatment of addictions at the SANANIM civic association as well as for development and management of the actual service.
- The main partner of the service is Plzeňský Prazdroj, a leading beer company in Central Europe, which promotes responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages.