The Czech beer-making industry is very demanding in terms of energy consumption, which is due mainly to its traditional production processes. Plzeňský Prazdroj has been brewing based on traditional recipes and processes and does not wish to alter these; therefore, it has to find energy savings elsewhere. The correct approach seems to be the effective use of energy, an investment in renewable resources, and the production of its own energy from renewable resources.
“Plzeňský Prazdroj’s approach to corporate responsibility is mainly focusing on 10 priorities. This concept also includes a strategy focusing on energy effectiveness. We want to use the most modern low-energy technologies and energy from renewable resources. This strategy directly affects beer production processes. It also monitors the indirect impact of transportation and production of packaging,” says Petr Holeček, Manager of Environmental Relations at Plzeňský Prazdroj.
By 2020, Plzeňský Prazdroj plans to lower the levels of emission from fossil fuels by 50%. Energy from renewable resources will play an especially important role. Plzeňský Prazdroj is currently using mainly wastewater, which through water purification becomes bio-gas, which is used to heat household water.
Another potential source of help in attaining this ambitious goal is energy produced from organic waste. “If the study of conversion of biological waste into renewable resources is successful, we will then be able to produce 46% of the energy needed by the brewery from renewable sources. This way we would come closer to our target level of 50% emissions reduction,” explains Petr Holeček. Lowering energy consumption together with lowering emissions falls under the 10 priorities of Plzeňský Prazdroj in regards to renewable resources.
Notes to editors:
- With total sales of 10.5 million hectolitres in the 2009 calendar year (including licensed production abroad) and with export to more than 50 countries, Plzeňský Prazdroj is the biggest producer of beer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- The 10 Corporate Responsibility priorities of Plzeňský Prazdroj: 1. Promote responsible alcohol consumption, 2. Decrease water consumption, 3. Lower energy consumption and the level of emissions, 4. Use recycled or returned packaging material, 5. Head towards operation with no waste, 6. Cooperate with partners who share our values, 7. Respect human rights, 8. Contribute to reducing HIV/AIDS, 9. Support regional development 10. A transparent declaration of results.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj became the national champion at a European competition, The European Corporate Responsibility Awards, for the best project in Corporate Responsibility. The competition took place under the seal of the European Union. It also received 2nd place at the CSR Awards 2010 for its active support of responsible alcohol consumption.
- In 2010, Plzeňský Prazdroj invested a total of 41.5 mil. Kč (.122559 million US) in the development of energy from renewable resources. It directly employs more than 2,300 people, and indirectly creates employment for about 33,600 others.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s., is a member of the SABMiller PLC Pilsner Urquell group, and is an international flagship of the SABMiller brands.
- SABMiller PLC is one of the biggest beer companies in the world, with activities and distribution in more than 60 countries on six continents. SABMiller’s group of brands includes important international brands such as Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell, and close to 200 successful regional and national brands.
Manager external communication
Ph. no: +420 724 617 219