“The competition for the best gingerbread is becoming an inseparable part of the holiday season’s celebrations in Beer Brewing Museum. Last year, more than 40 contestants entered the competition with more than 150 products that included classic gingerbread cookies as well as exquisite gingerbread houses, candle–holders, and many other interesting gingerbread creations. It is always a memorable experience to see how much of this ancient folklore artistry has been preserved right here, in the museum,“ said Jitka Froydová of the Beer Brewing Museum.
The only thing necessary to enter the competition is to bring your product to the front desk of Beer Brewing Museum anytime during the open hours until December 18th, the last day to enter the competition. The desk is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The contest is being held in three categories: traditional gingerbread cookie, a gingerbread creation, and children category. All contestants will receive an invitation to the announcement of the winners selected by the jury that will also award the attractive prices. All entered gingerbread creations will be then displayed in Beer Brewing Museum until the 6th of January, the feast of Three Kings.
The competition for the best gingerbread cookie attracts an attention for several years already. The last year’s jury included a curator of Beer Brewing Museum collections Martin Buchlovský, a theater director and an actor Vilém Dubnička, a chef of the restaurant „U Salzmannů“ Josef Hlaváček. The winner of the children category was Lucie Mudrová with her gingerbread creation „Angel with a Star.“ The winner of the traditional gingerbread cookie was Jana Buhlová, and she also became the winner of the gingerbread creation category with her gingerbread house.
Gingerbread cookie decorating was the last of the Saturday workshops, a cycle of creative workshops that took place every Saturday from October 15th to November 19th in the Museum. In the special atmosphere of a uniquely preserved house–with–the–rights–to–brew–beer, the participants had a chance to try various craft techniques under the guidance of experienced tutors. The activities included, for example, decoupage (decorating technique using a napkin), painting on cups, bleaching, jewelry making from FIMO, and making of Christmas decorations and gingerbread cookies, which can be now entered into the competition.
Notes for editors
- Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery activities for visitors include Visitors Center, Pilsner Urquell and Gambrinus visitors tours, Beer Brewing Museum, and Plzeň Historic Underground in the center of the town.
- You can get inspired to visit by visiting www.prazdrojvisit.cz first. The website is dedicated to visitors tours, and to all services offered by the brewery for its visitors.
- Besides Czech, English, and German, visitors may too hear the tours’ narratives in French, Chinese, and Russian.
- The brewery’s offer includes also the social and cultural center Secese, which is available for organising various celebrations, and cultural, educational, or presentation functions.
- Beer Brewing Museum is located in the original house–with–the–rights–to–brew–beer in Veleslavínova street, which has been preserved in an original and authentic shape. The Museum first opened in 1959 as a part of celebrations of 100th anniversary of a trade mark „Plzeňské pivo“ (Plzeň beer).
- An 800 metres-long tour of Plzeň Historic Underground is accessible from the building of Beer Brewing Museum. The labyrinth of pathways, cellars, and wells was being built under the Town of Plzeň already since the 14th century, and it is closely connected with the history and the present of the town.
- In 2010, 226,000 visitors from all around the world visited the brewery, Beer Brewing Museum, and the Underground. The Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery itself is considered the most attractive tourist destination in Czech Republic.
- Department of Tourism and Cultural Heritage Care of Plzeňský Prazdroj is responsible for visitors tours, tourism, and the sale of souvenirs in Velké Popovice and Radegast breweries. In 2010, all touristic destinations and points of interest under the care of Plzeňský Prazdroj welcomed more than 250,000 visitors in total.
+ 420 724 617 219