„Draff“ is the residual grain which is left over after the malted barley has been boiled and the liquid filtered out for fermentation. Plzeň brewing houses produce about 80,000 tons of draff every year. Beer brewing draff is a byproduct of beer production. In a raw state, draff contains about 80% water. Today, it is primarily used as feed in agriculture. In accordance with its goals of sustainable development, Plzeňský Prazdroj decided to install new technology for dehydration of draff via centrifugal moulding and to transport the produced material to a nearby heating plant to be used for steam and energy production. About half of the yearly draff production will be used for green energy production.
„Moulding and burning of draff will further help to eliminate a carbon imprint that we were able to reduce by 20% during the past five years. Another positive aspect of this operation concerning the environment is that the draff will not be transported over long distances but will be used at the Plzeň Heating Plant located right next to our brewery. The new moulding technology is another investment in sustainable development guided by a clearly defined strategy. The strategy defines ten priorities and one of them is the elimination of a carbon imprint,“ said Drahomíra Mandíková, Director of Corporate Relations and Communications of Plzeňský Prazdroj.
The processed draff has approximately the same heating value as, for example, biomass from forest thinning. Plzeň Heating Plant, Inc. will be able to produce more steam and subsequently energy while eliminating the use of fossil fuels. This will have a positive impact on the reduction of CO2 production, otherwise known as a carbon imprint. The use of beer brewing draff thus supports the reduction of greenhouse emissions.
Jiří Holoubek, Commercial and Technical Director of Plzeň Heating Plant said,„During the several months–long trial period, Plzeňský Prazdroj shipped more than 500 tons of pressed and dehydrated draff to the Plzeň Heating Plant. Full production will start at the beginning of August. Together with wooden chips, triticale, solid alternative fuels, and processed miscanthus, we are thus continuing the gradual trend of the Plzeň Heating Plant: diversification of our fuel mixture.“
Notes for editors:
- With its total sales of more than 9.9 million hectoliters during 2011 (including licensed productions abroad), and with its export to more than 50 countries around the world, Plzeňský Prazdroj, Inc. is the foremost beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech Beer.
- Ten priorities of corporate responsibility at Plzeňský Prazdroj: 1, support of responsible alcohol consumption, 2, reduction of water usage, 3, reduction of energy usage and emission levels, 4, packaging materials recycling, 5, moving towards zero waste production, 6, cooperation with partners sharing our corporate values, 7, respect for human rights, 8, support of HIV/AIDS elimination efforts, 9, support of the development of regions and 10, transparent communication and presentation of results.
- For its long term responsible business practises, ecological innovations, and support of local economies, Plzeňský Prazdroj was awarded first place in TOP’s Most Responsible Large Company category for 2011.
- The other award is the Region Governor’s Award for Civic Responsibility for 2011, awarded by the Governor of the Moravia-Silesia region together with the Chairman of Quality Committee of Czech Republic.
- In 2010, the Business for Society Organisation awarded Plzeňský Prazdroj a special prize for its longtime contribution to corporate responsibility awareness in Czech Republic.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, Inc. is a division of SABMiller plc. Pilsner Urquell is an international flagship of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world’s biggest companies, with beer production and distribution activities in more than 60 countries across six continents.
- For its responsible action towards future generations, Plzeňský Prazdroj is repeatedly awarded the highest ratings among all SABMiller breweries.
+ 420 724 617 219