Message to consumers: Alcohol does not belong behind the wheel21.4.2011 Company
„For a majority of consumers, beer helps them relax. It is a natural drink that has the advantage of a refreshing taste as well as a low amount of alcohol. Since the final decision to consume alcoholic beverages falls ultimately on the consumer, as a responsible producer we focus on the unwanted consequences of irresponsible alcohol consumption, and we communicate with our consumers in a responsible way,“ explained Drahomíra Mandíková, director of communication and corporate relations at Plzeňský Prazdroj.
„We are certain that even a producer can contribute to finding ways to responsibly consume alcohol and eradicate the negative consequences of irresponsible drinking. Drivers have to also realise their responsibility towards their surroundings and to themselves. If you are consuming alcohol, don’t even think about driving a vehicle,“ said Mandíková.
Since the beginning of 2009, all labels on beer from Plzeňský Prazdroj, as well as all advertising of its brands and other forms of communication, have featured the website www.napivosrozumem.cz, where visitors can read about the effects that alcohol has on their body, as well as information on how to consume alcohol responsibly. This information will now be tied to the main message, „Alcohol does not belong behind the wheel.“
Responsible messages on beer labels and in advertising are one of many areas in which Plzeňský Prazdroj takes on the role of a responsible producer. For example, internal regulations regarding marketing communication state that all actors in commercials must look at least 25 years old, and they must also be at least 25. Prazdroj airs ads for beer only during media, shows and events that have an audience of at least 70 percent adults. Plzeňský Prazdroj is the founding member of the Initiative of Responsible Breweries (IRB), which sets rules for the self–regulation of advertising by alcohol producers and initiates community–based campaigns. Plzeňský Prazdroj has also provided long-term support to the great service, Promile INFO, which, through text messages, WAP and the Internet, informs drivers about the approximate level of alcohol in their bloodstreams.
Notes to editors:
- With total sales of close to 9.9 million hectolitres in the 2010 calendar year (including licensed production abroad) and with export to more than 50 countries, Plzeňský Prazdroj is the biggest producer of beer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- The 10 corporate responsibility priorities of Plzeňský Prazdroj: 1.) Promoting responsible alcohol consumption. 2.) Decreasing water consumption. 3.) Lowering energy consumption and levels of emissions. 4.) Using recycled or returned packaging material. 5.) Shifting towards production with no waste. 6.) Cooperating with partners who share our values. 7.) Respecting human rights. 8.) Contributing to decreasing the rate of HIV/AIDS. 9.) Supporting regional development. 10.) Declaring results transparently.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj received the Governor’s Award for corporate responsibility in 2011, which is awarded by the governor of the Moravian-Silesian Region and the chairman of the Council for Quality of the Czech Republic. In 2010, Business for the Society awarded Plzeňský Prazdroj a special award for its long-term contribution to the development of corporate responsibility in the Czech Republic.
- In 2010, Plzeňský Prazdroj invested a total of 41.5 million Czech crowns (2.5 million USD) in the development of energy from renewable resources. It directly employs more than 2300 people, and it indirectly creates about 33,600 positions.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s., is a member of SABMiller PLC. Pilsner Urquell is an international flagship of SABMiller brands.
- SABMiller PLC is one of biggest beer companies in the world, with activities and distribution in more than 60 countries on six continents.
- For its responsible conduct towards future generations, Plzeňský Prazdroj has repeatedly received the highest honours of all SABMiller breweries.
Manager external communication
Ph. no: +420 724 617 219