Prazdroj started using a modern cooling system, which is more environmentally friendly16.6.2011 Company
The modernisation of the cooling equipment influences the cooling in the filtration process, warehousing of hops and historical cellars. With the new technology, the beer is cooled to 3°C before it is poured into bottles or cans after it’s pasteurised through the flow pasteuriser. This way, Prazdroj does not use the R22 coolant, which requires a lot of energy, for ecological liquidation. The amount of ammonia was lowered both in the cooling system and in the system of beer cooling. This system requires less energy.
The investment also represents a contribution towards safety. The distribution channels for the ammonia were taken down from bridge construction in the brewery and also from historical cellars. These are part of the sight-seeing tour. Brewers from Prazdroj also test here the quality and taste of the beer, which even today ferments and ripens in oak barrels, just as it was done in the 19th century.
Positive environmental impact is also found in the dramatic decrease in energy consumption of the new system. Modernisation brings considerable savings in electric energy and the entire system is a lot more environmentally friendly.
The majority of technical equipment is under the continuous supervision of the central operating system, with 24–hour supervision by the staff.
The project started in the fall of 2010. It took, in total, 12.3 million Kč (717,496 USD), of which 11 million Kč (641,663 USD) was contributed by the Operational Programme Environment, which was prepared by the State Environmental Fund of the Czech Republic and the Ministry of the Environment of the Czech Republic in cooperation with the European Commission.
Notes to editors:
- With total sales of close to 9.9 million hectolitres in the 2010 calendar year (including licensed production abroad) and with exports to more than 50 countries, Plzeňský Prazdroj is the biggest producer of beer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- 10 Corporate Responsibility priorities of Plzeňský Prazdroj: 1. The promotion of responsible alcohol consumption, 2. Decreasing water consumption, 3. Lowering energy consumption and leveling emissions, 4. The use of recycled or returned packaging material, 5. Heading towards production with no waste, 6. Cooperation with partners who share our values, 7. Respect for human rights, 8. A contribution to decreasing HIV/AIDS, 9. Support for regional development and 10. A transparent declaration of results.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj received the Regional Hetman for Corporate Responsibility 2011 prize, which is awarded by the hetman of the Moravian–Slesian Region and the Chairman of the Council for Quality of the Czech Republic. In 2010, Business for the Society awarded Plzeňský Prazdroj a special award for a long–term contribution to the development of corporate responsibility in the Czech Republic.
- In 2010, Plzeňský Prazdroj invested a total of 41.5 million Czech crowns (2.5 million USD) in the development of energy from renewable resources. It directly employs more than 2,300 people and indirectly creates employment for about 33,600.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s., is a member of the SABMiller PLC Company. Pilsner Urquell is an international flagship of SABMiller brands.
- SABMiller PLC is one of the biggest beer companies in the world, with activities and distribution in more than 60 countries on six continents.
- For its responsible conduct towards future generations, Plzeňský Prazdroj has repeatedly received the highest honours of any SABMiller brewery.
Manager external communication
+420 724 617 219