“Corporate social responsibility is the voluntary integration of social and ecological aspects into everyday corporate operations and interaction with the surrounding environment.”
(European Union, Green Book 2001)
Plzensky Prazdroj, as one of the leading business entities in the CR, has issued a Report on Social Responsibility. The Report summarises the core values on which the leading beer producer in the CR prides itself. The main objectives of Plzensky Prazdroj include environmental protection, the fulfilment of social and societal obligations, care for historical heritage and the preservation of the high quality of the beer brands in the Plzensky Prazdroj portfolio. The essential parts of the Report include joining in the promotion of responsible alcohol consumption, whereby Plzensky Prazdroj fulfils the unified policy of the SABMiller group as a responsible producer of alcoholic beverages.
“There is a lot of debate and contemplation about social responsibility which adds little real value. So we decided to present a report which outlines what social responsibility means to us in pragmatic terms and which indicates what we are doing about it. We would like people to judge us and let us have their views. There is no doubt we can get better and we can improve more effectively if we get constructive from concerned and interested people,” says Mike Short, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Plzensky Prazdroj.
The Report contains seven chapters that fulfil the three pillars of corporate social responsibility – economic, social and ecological obligations. The chapter on responsible alcohol consumption (1) strives to prevent the potential negative personal and social consequences of excessive alcohol consumption. In the section devoted to environmental protection, the Plzensky Prazdroj breweries declare the procedure within the framework of environmental management (2), which they fulfil in compliance with ISO 14001 standards. The other chapters concern caring for historical heritage (3), quality and professionalism, respect for human rights, support of community development and transparency of business.
One of the social projects is the Plzensky Prazdroj Citizens’ Choice, which has been functioning successfully since 2002. The goal is to support development in the regions where three breweries operate. Within the framework of specific activities, we have managed to divide 26 million crowns among more than 100 projects within the Citizens’ Choice program.
The Report is one of the first of its kind in the Czech Republic. Abroad, it is common for companies to issue documents similar to this Report, thereby giving the public control over the fulfilment of their obligations and promises in the area of social responsibility. At the same time, companies thus present themselves externally and enable the mediation of their “mission,”’ which creates a corporate identity. “We may expect more and more companies in the Czech Republic to formulate and publish similar documents,” says Tomas Nejedlo, Executive Director of the Business Leaders Forum.
The Report on Social Responsibility of Plzensky Prazdroj, a.s. is available at – www.prazdroj.cz/en/about-the-company/responsible-producer
+420 724 617 886
+420 724 617 824
Corporate Affairs Department
- Plzensky Prazdroj supported the national BESIP campaign called “Designated.” Its message is simple – in a group of visitors to an event where alcoholic beverages are served, there should always be a previously “designated” driver.
- In the ecological segment, we have managed to transform 99% of original waste into secondary raw materials. The transition to the new type of bottles, which is lighter than the older type, was also successful. This resulted in a decreased consumption of fuels and energies required for recycling.
- Plzensky Prazdroj continues to run one of its historical operations – the brewery barrel shop, which is one of the last of its kind not only in Europe, but apparently in the world.
x x x
- With total sales of more than 10.2 million hectolitres at home and abroad in the calendar year 2005, and with exports to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s., is the leading beer producer in Central Europe and the largest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s., is a subsidiary of SABMiller plc, by volume the second largest global brewing company worldwide with brewing interests or distribution agreements in over 60 countries across five continents. The group’s brands include premium international beers such as Pilsner Urquell, Miller Genuine Draft and Peroni Nastro Azzurro, as well as an exceptional range of market leading local brands. Outside the USA, SABMiller plc is also one of the largest bottlers of Coca-Cola products in the world.